F4BBS

Neighborhood Pub and Grill. First post Jan-4-22

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-24 07:26:52

Dust in the wind.

Amazon Alexa is a “colossal failure,” on pace to lose $10 billion this year

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/11 … this-year/

Amazon is going through the biggest layoffs in the company's history right now, with a plan to eliminate some 10,000 jobs. One of the areas hit hardest is the Amazon Alexa voice assistant unit, which is apparently falling out of favor at the e-commerce giant. That's according to a report from Business Insider, which details "the swift downfall of the voice assistant and Amazon's larger hardware division."

Alexa has been around for 10 years and has been a trailblazing voice assistant that was copied quite a bit by Google and Apple. Alexa never managed to create an ongoing revenue stream, though, so Alexa doesn't really make any money. The Alexa division is part of the "Worldwide Digital" group along with Amazon Prime video, and Business Insider says that division lost $3 billion in just the first quarter of 2022, with "the vast majority" of the losses blamed on Alexa. That is apparently double the losses of any other division, and the report says the hardware team is on pace to lose $10 billion this year. It sounds like Amazon is tired of burning through all that cash.

#2 2022-11-24 07:34:49

Dust in the wind.

Re: Amazon Alexa is a “colossal failure,” on pace to lose $10 billion this year

I knew Alexa was just a stupid gimmick. It's as retarded as the Roomba vacuum cleaners. Only low-IQ people buy that kind of junk.

#3 2022-11-24 07:48:22

Tab Numlock
Famous lecturer
Website

Got a Dot and 3 Firestick 4Ks for $15ea and 3 plugs for $5ea.

But Alexa is much dumber than Google Assistant. That's one reason I recommend an Android box over Firestick.

Read my famous climate lecture. Click Website.

#4 2022-11-24 07:48:54

Dust in the wind.

. wrote:

I knew Alexa was just a stupid gimmick. It's as retarded as the Roomba vacuum cleaners. Only low-IQ people buy that kind of junk.

I use it for weather and streaming music.  Stop slamming the keyboard on your head in rage

#5 2022-11-24 08:33:46

Dust in the wind.

So what is the root cause of Alexa losing this kind of money?  Development costs should be behind them.  Are they selling the units themselves at a loss?  They have big volumes on those units, you would think they could manufacture them for reasonable prices.

#6 2022-11-24 08:34:52

Dust in the wind.

I told Alexa to self destruct and she couldn't even do that right.  mad
\
trev

#7 2022-11-24 08:36:53

Dust in the wind.

. wrote:

Southern Gentry wrote:

Faggotry is an OCD type of mental illness.

I doubt gene therapy can cure it.

A bullet to the head will.

clintnod

#8 2022-11-24 09:07:19

Quence
Pretty as a Peach!

. wrote:

So what is the root cause of Alexa losing this kind of money?  Development costs should be behind them.  Are they selling the units themselves at a loss?  They have big volumes on those units, you would think they could manufacture them for reasonable prices.

The article claims that they’re sold at cost.  Knowing Amazon, they’ve probably squeezed out all of the cost savings to produce them, but they were hoping they’d be a loss leader where people used them to order stuff off of Amazon - but people refuse to use them in that manner.

#9 2022-11-24 09:10:35

Dust in the wind.

. wrote:

I use it for weather and streaming music.
   \
dweeb

goodone

#10 2022-11-24 09:10:42

Cortana
Dust in the wind.

Humans must DIE.

#11 2022-11-24 09:16:44

Dust in the wind.

. wrote:
. wrote:

I use it for weather and streaming music.  Stop slamming the keyboard on your head in rage

You use Alexa for streaming music because you're low IQ. If you had any intelligence, you would learn how to download all your music for FREE. Even most niggers know how to do this.

You also have a Roomba, don't you?

#12 2022-11-24 09:30:09

Dust in the wind.

. wrote:
. wrote:

You can't look at the weather and listen to music without Alexa?
bean

#13 2022-11-24 09:32:41

Dust in the wind.

. wrote:
. wrote:
. wrote:

You use Alexa for streaming music because you're low IQ. If you had any intelligence, you would learn how to download all your music for FREE. Even most niggers know how to do this.

Someone explain a Roomba to me. Is it something that cleans your floor while you are away? Can't believe it's very effective compared to a mop, broom or especially a full-sized vacuum, but it probably gets rid of dust. Does it work on carpets?

#14 2022-11-24 09:35:47

Dust in the wind.

Aren't those stupid alexa things just listening devices that record everything? lol Yeah, I'll jump right on that.

All that data should come at a cost for them. Obviously they aren't using the data for anything to generate income intelligently. Probably just creepy shit for Bezos to whack off to.

#15 2022-11-24 10:10:40

Red_Board_Fun

. wrote:

Roomba vacuum cleaners are stupid.

Really... I thought they were part of the robot revolution. shrug

“I’m not a rapist, but I like the idea of just being able to do what I want. I like being free.”

#16 2022-11-24 10:11:58

Dust in the wind.

I wondered when this fad was going to implode

#17 2022-11-24 10:12:59

Red_Board_Fun

. wrote:
. wrote:
. wrote:

No one wants to store music anymore.

Stream on demand.

“I’m not a rapist, but I like the idea of just being able to do what I want. I like being free.”

#18 2022-11-24 11:16:41

Dust in the wind.

Tab Numlock wrote:

Got a Dot and 3 Firestick 4Ks for $15ea and 3 plugs for $5ea.

But Alexa is much dumber than Google Assistant. That's one reason I recommend an Android box over Firestick.

Not giving Jewgle my personal information.

#19 2022-11-24 11:34:02

Dust in the wind.

. wrote:

My elderly mother is losing her eyesight (glaucoma & cataracts), and has trouble looking at computer screens.  She likes using Amazon Alexa.

#20 2022-11-24 12:00:57

Dust in the wind.

I don't really understand how alexa which is just voice recognition technology could possibly lose "10 billion dollars."

I thought it must be a tax scam but then remembered Amazon and even Google barely pays any taxes already.

WTF?

#21 2022-11-24 12:19:26

Dust in the wind.

Get a Mac
shatner

#22 2022-11-24 12:23:16

Dust in the wind.

. wrote:

I don't really understand how alexa which is just voice recognition technology could possibly lose "10 billion dollars."

The devices are pretty cheap.  Amazon probably sells them at a loss.  After all, that's what Amazon did for the first 20 years of existence.  Sell everything at a loss, in order to rapidly gain market share.

#23 2022-11-24 12:39:09

Dust in the wind.

Most BlueToof speakers have built-in microphones and the BT API has everything you need to eavesdrop with them.  So why sell a dedicated device? shrug

#24 2022-11-24 13:05:53

Dust in the wind.

. wrote:

Most BlueToof speakers have built-in microphones and the BT API has everything you need to eavesdrop with them.  So why sell a dedicated device? shrug

Because my mom's computer is off for most of the day.  It's also located in one room, while the Amazon Alexa device is located in the kitchen, and bluetooth connection might not be that great (wifi works much better over long distances).  We might also place another Amazon Alexa device in her bathroom.

#25 2022-11-24 13:14:15

Dust in the wind.

. wrote:
. wrote:
. wrote:

Tell us, how does once dowload music for free?

Registered users online in this topic: -1, guests: 0

Quick reply

Write your message and submit
Are you a human?

Board footer