F4BBS

Neighborhood Pub and Grill. First post Jan-4-22

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-24 07:24:35

Dust in the wind.

What goes good with corn beef?

I bought some corn beef for the first time in 20 years. I can't remember what side dish goes good with it???

Suggestions please. Akins is usually an expert on these matters.

#2 2022-11-24 07:42:47

Dust in the wind.

Re: What goes good with corn beef?

Collards, succotash.

#3 2022-11-24 07:47:17

Dust in the wind.

corn beef!
\
winner

#4 2022-11-24 08:03:45

Southern Gentry
Official Arbiter of F4 Policy

. wrote:

I bought some corn beef for the first time in 20 years. I can't remember what side dish goes good with it???

Are you talking about canned corned beef or deli meat?

If you have canned corned beef, you can usually manage to get it out of the can intact and slice it into slices like spam that you can cook in a skillet or griddle on top of the stove.

I like to cook it that way so it gets a little browned then make sandwiches out of it using fresh sliced "everything" french bread, with maybe a little coarse ground mustard and a Claussen sandwich sliced pickle.

Alternately, slice up a head of cabbage into thin slices (after taking the stalk out) and fry the sliced cabbage up in some bacon-grease seasoned with salt and pepper. Serve hot with the cooked corned beef.

#5 2022-11-24 08:04:55

Not Tater
Dust in the wind.

TATERS!!!!

#6 2022-11-24 08:07:13

Dust in the wind.

Southern Gentry wrote:
. wrote:

If you have canned corned beef, you can usually manage to get it out of the can intact and slice it into slices like spam that you can cook in a skillet or griddle on top of the stove.

I like to cook it that way so it gets a little browned then make sandwiches out of it using fresh sliced "everything" french bread, with maybe a little coarse ground mustard and a Claussen sandwich sliced pickle.

Canned corned beef.

I never thought of making a sandwich out of it. Perhaps I'll do just that. hmmm

What kind of bread do you suggest? Regular or rye?

#7 2022-11-24 08:12:45

Southern Gentry

. wrote:
Southern Gentry wrote:
. wrote:

Canned corned beef.

Like I said above I usually use the seeded "everything" French bread with coarse ground mustard and a Claussen sandwich sliced pickle; but if you want a Reuben sandwich, get rye bread and toast it and use some of the sweet Bavarian style (Sliver Floss brand) canned sauerkraut and some Swiss or provolone cheese melted on top with a little Thousand Island or creamy Russian dressing.

#8 2022-11-24 08:14:14

Dust in the wind.

Yo teefs.
\
deebo

#9 2022-11-24 08:14:42

Southern Gentry

Not Tater wrote:

TATERS!!!!

Potatoes O'Brian and cooked cabbage would go good with corned beef.

#10 2022-11-24 08:26:00

Dust in the wind.

Not Tater wrote:

TATERS!!!!

kimclap

#11 2022-11-24 08:39:16

Diesel_Dawg
FUCK YOU!

Southern Gentry wrote:
Not Tater wrote:

TATERS!!!!

Potatoes O'Brian and cooked cabbage would go good with corned beef.

Corned beef and cabbage is an Irish staple.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16310 … cabbage-i/

Fuck You!

#12 2022-11-24 08:41:30

Dust in the wind.

Southern Gentry wrote:
. wrote:
Southern Gentry wrote:

Canned corned beef.

Like I said above I usually use the seeded "everything" French bread with coarse ground mustard and a Claussen sandwich sliced pickle; but if you want a Reuben sandwich, get rye bread and toast it and use some of the sweet Bavarian style (Sliver Floss brand) canned sauerkraut and some Swiss or provolone cheese melted on top with a little Thousand Island or creamy Russian dressing.

I've never once tried sauerkraut. Never been a big fan of cabbage. But I guess it's time I try it once and for all.

#13 2022-11-24 08:51:42

Southern Gentry

. wrote:
Southern Gentry wrote:
. wrote:

Canned corned beef.

I've never once tried sauerkraut. Never been a big fan of cabbage. But I guess it's time I try it once and for all.

The sweet Bavarian style sauerkraut is the only kind I like, it isn't sour like regular kraut. "Silver Floss" is the only brand/company I know who makes the sweet kind:

If you cook cabbage, fry it in bacon grease. It's good with bacon bits cooked with it, along with salt and pepper. It should turn out still a little stiff, not totally limp. You want it like Chinese stir-fry.

Never boil cabbage.

They sell jars of picked red cabbage that is not bad.

32oz_Pickled_Red_Cabbage.jpg

But it's better if you use fresh red cabbage sliced up and cooked (braised) in a little bacon grease. You can season it with Accent brand flavor enhance in addition to salt and pepper, and you can also use a little balsamic vinegar in fresh braised red cabbage to add a little zing to it.

#14 2022-11-24 09:52:24

Dust in the wind.

Southern Gentry wrote:
. wrote:

Alternately, slice up a head of cabbage into thin slices (after taking the stalk out) and fry the sliced cabbage up in some bacon-grease seasoned with salt and pepper. Serve hot with the cooked corned beef.

Horrible for your health but delicious nonetheless.  thumbup

#15 2022-11-24 14:20:10

Dust in the wind.

Get some potatoes and carrots, slice them up, and place in a pot with the corned beef. Add a few cups of water, let simmer for a few hours , and you have a nice traditional Irish dish.

#16 2022-11-24 14:26:22

Southern Gentry

. wrote:

Get some potatoes and carrots, slice them up, and place in a pot with the corned beef. Add a few cups of water, let simmer for a few hours , and you have a nice traditional Irish dish.

That wouldn't work very well with canned corned beef.

Corned beef is more of an Irish-American thing, not really authentic Irish cuisine.

The traditional fare in Ireland was cabbage and bacon, served with potatoes; but when the Irish came over to America during the potato famine in the mid-1800s they began using corned beef instead of bacon because it was cheaper, and many of the butcher shops and delicatessens that were located in the cities like New York where the Irish settled were owned by Jews, who sold corned beef.

#17 2022-11-24 14:27:31

Southern Gentry

. wrote:
Southern Gentry wrote:
. wrote:

You can eat healthy and possibly live a long but miserable, bland and unfulfilled life of deprivation; or you can eat what you like and skip celebrating your 90s in the nursing home.

#18 2022-11-24 15:28:05

Dust in the wind.

Southern Gentry wrote:
. wrote:
Southern Gentry wrote:

You can eat healthy and possibly live a long but miserable, bland and unfulfilled life of deprivation; or you can eat what you like and skip celebrating your 90s in the nursing home.

Of course someone who ate well would likely be more fit, active and healthy at age 75 than you at age 55.

#19 2022-11-24 15:58:50

Diesel_Dawg
FUCK YOU!

Southern Gentry wrote:
. wrote:

Corned beef is more of an Irish-American thing, not really authentic Irish cuisine.

The traditional fare in Ireland was cabbage and bacon, served with potatoes; but when the Irish came over to America during the potato famine in the mid-1800s they began using corned beef instead of bacon because it was cheaper, and many of the butcher shops and delicatessens that were located in the cities like New York where the Irish settled were owned by Jews, who sold corned beef.

Traditional Irish fare is a 6 pack and a potato.

Fuck You!

#20 2022-11-24 17:26:46

Southern Gentry

Diesel_Dawg wrote:
Southern Gentry wrote:
. wrote:

That's a seven-course Irish dinner.

#21 2022-11-24 17:52:56

Red_Board_Fun

Canned Corned Beef?

You pan fry it then top it with poached eggs.

“I’m not a rapist, but I like the idea of just being able to do what I want. I like being free.”

#22 2022-11-24 18:03:42

Southern Gentry

. wrote:
Southern Gentry wrote:
. wrote:

Of course someone who ate well would likely be more fit, active and healthy at age 75 than you at age 55.

But that would mean never eating what you really like and being miserable because you hate what you are restricted to eating.

#23 2022-11-24 19:09:46

Diesel_Dawg
FUCK YOU!

Southern Gentry wrote:
Diesel_Dawg wrote:
Southern Gentry wrote:

Add a bottle of Bailey's for dessert and it's 8 course.

Fuck You!

#24 2022-11-24 19:12:34

Southern Gentry

Diesel_Dawg wrote:
Southern Gentry wrote:
Diesel_Dawg wrote:

Add a bottle of Bailey's for dessert and it's 8 course.

Even I like Bailey's.

Good stuff.

Registered users online in this topic: -1, guests: 0

Quick reply

Write your message and submit
Are you a human?

Board footer